Monday, August 19, 2013

My Best Friend by J.L. Whitehead

The rain falls in gentle pellets, tapping my window pane.
It reminds me of you - echoing in my heart how lonely I am.
The place across the room where you used to sit is painfully empty,
Who knew that losing something so precious could reverberate a quiet so loudly?

I remember running on the beach with you,
riding up the coast with the wind tossing you in glee.
You had a perpetual smile, encased in deep brown eyes;
and I knew that you loved me unconditionally.

I could always count on you, knowing you had my back,
which is why I cared for you as deeply as I did.
Not a day went by when I didn't say, 'I love you.'
And you didn't have to say a word because they were said through eyes so deep...
eyes that truly saw me.

Sometimes I can still hear the patter of your feet.
And my heart breaks all over again because you aren't really here.
And as the rain continues to fall from darkened skies,
I think how someone could hit you, then leave you.

How could someone take away my best friend,
and shatter my world without a backward glance?
I buried you with saddened eyes and tear-stained cheeks,
with your favorite toy - your favorite blanket - your favorite collar.


~ J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...