Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Writer's Megaphone introduces Spoken Word Artist Kristel Irby

Ms. Irby responded to my Facebook request for authors who wanted to participate in the Writer's Megaphone experience.  It has always been my belief that everyone aspires to and deserves to have the spotlight shined on them at one point in the lives, and I always believe in paying it forward.  If I am known for anything, I would like it to be that.

Ms. Irby has an interesting story to tell.  She is of mixed raced descent: half African American and half Jewish.  This woman has a lot to say...words that will flow freely from her like clear water cascading over the Niagara Falls.  I will feature her later in the week as she is the author of a book of poetry entitled, As Clear as Kristel.

Author Kristel Irby


For now, we will open up the mike and allow Kristel Irby to present a poem from her book.  The piece is entitled, Smokey.  This piece is about a friend of hers that she had lost to drugs, and then rediscovered again later in life.

Smokey

It only took one light that night
My temptation got the best of me
My destiny cloudy
Smokey

Like an ignited chimney
Tricking me as I lick and inhale
The poisons of the stick that I 
tripped out on

Laced with disgrace
And everything that is wrong
I sing the same old song
As so many
Individuals

Hum, Hum
Stuck with a bad habit
It's been too long

Lost in a line
With limited time
It's high is the past lives of
So many singers
So many entertainers

And now presently
Of so many we love
Who need to be saved
And now I hum with them

I hum a hit
Their misery plagues my brain
My life hasn't been the same

It only took one light
On one night
That led to a lifetime of a fight





~ J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...