Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Writer's Megaphone shouts out author and advocate Patricia A. McKnight




 Tricia's Story


 
Tricia McKnight



*** Every two minutes, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States.  Each year, there are about 207,754 victims of sexual assault.  44% of the victims are under the age of 18.  80% are under the age of 30.  54% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.  97% of the rapists will never spend a day in jail.  Approximately 2/3 of the assaults are committed by someone known to the victim.  38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance of the victim.

These are staggering statistics.  And with that being said, I have one more for you.  Every one of you reading this shout-out knows someone directly or indirectly that has been a victim of rape or sexual assault. 

*** RAINN - Rape, Abuse, Incest, National Network
http://www.rainn.org/statistics

Last year, I wrote an article on Patricia McKnight.  It was within the realms of this article that she shared with me the gory details of her abuse.  She spoke candidly without a bit of regret or remorse.  Throughout our interview, I could tell that she walked with her head held high.  There wasn't a trace of shame or self-doubt to be found.

She could have easily remained a victim as some women in her predicament are forced to do.  But she didn't.  She composed a book that details what happened to her; not as a cry for pity, but more as a beacon of light for those women who are still held in emotional bondage.  Her book is entitled, My Justice.  She became the executive director and host for Dreamcatchers for Abused Children Blog Talk Radio.

My Justice
She has proudly become a symbol of hope for women everywhere proving that you do not have to be a victim of your circumstances and that indeed, you are not alone.

Excerpts from her interview:

JLW: What did you do to change your circumstances?

PM: The best thing I ever did to help myself was at 25 and pregnant with my third child, I went back to school. I completed my G.E.D. courses and went on to achieve valedictorian from a small business academy in Fredrick, Maryland - Abbie Business Institute. This gave me the belief in myself that I could actually be more and strive for more than all of the violence and control in my life. That night some 9 years later when I left my second husband; it was this education that gave me the ability to provide us with shelter, clothing, food and the necessities to survive without the financial control and violence of another.

JLW: Could you tell our readership about your publication and the programs that you are affiliated with?

PM: In February 2011, I released the true graphic novel, "My Justice" and finally gave voice to that person who had been forced into the silence of torture and abuse. This was not only my freedom, but more as a way to apologize and explain to my children who their mother was and why there was so much pain in their lives. It also became my strength to reach out and connect with others who had survived these types of trauma. In January 2011 I started creating a "secret" group connection using the Facebook group applications. This is still safely running today and we have a small community of about 50 women who have overcome their circumstances and are now rebuilding their lives. I make it a point to check in with them, provide any resources they may need to get back on their feet. It's very hard work to actually rebuild the person you are, but if you truly want to be safe in your world it is something you must do; if not for yourself then for your children. Any woman who is struggling with this rebuilding and recovery process is welcome to reach out to me at facebook.com/triciagirl62 and we will discuss their needs and the support or resources they may need. Then we include them in our family of positive supporters who are growing stronger and brighter each day.
Also with the publication of "My Justice", I've been able to connect with some wonderful people. Best-selling author and advocate Peter Thomas Senese not only purchased and read my story, but gave rave reviews and provided two major press releases in the PRWeb site. He has become a friend and I've learned of all he is doing as an advocate. In my view his actions are sincerely directed at protecting our children.

To read the full article, please click on the link below:

http://www.examiner.com/article/abuse-a-survivor-s-tale-patricia-s-story 

I take my hat off to Ms. McKnight; not only for finding her own voice, but for being the voice of all women around the world!

To order a copy of Ms. McKnight's book, My Justice, click on the link below!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Justice-ebook/dp/B004R9QGXA

Tricia McKnight


No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...