Monday, May 6, 2013

What you don't know...

One of the things that I've come to realize about me is that I'm lousy at self-promotion.  It's easier to talk about someone else; better yet if I'm praising them because I feel that in one way or another, I'll get it back.  One of the things that an author friend once told me was that I have to start promoting myself.  To make it in this industry, you have to put shyness in the trunk and toot your own horn from time to time.  How else will someone learn about you?  How else will people know what you have to offer?

Sometimes, it's easier said than done because honestly, I feel like how much can I tell you about me and my work?  What can I tell you that you don't already know?

You know that I have one book out entitled "Bruthas" and you know that it's been out for two years.  You may know that the conclusion of the story is due out this summer using the cover shown below.


But what you don't know is that I'm an advocate for abuse survivors.  Being a sexual abuse survivor myself earns me the right to talk about, write about and shout about it.  There will be storylines where this issue will be addressed.  It'll be as graphic as it has to be in order to drive the point home that this type of behavior needs to stop.  Too many people have been hurt by it already.

I should know.

Still, as a writer, I'm very proud that I do what I do.  I know that if I died tomorrow, someone, somewhere outside of my inner circle will say that they've heard of me.  Let's just hope that it's in a good way.

In the meantime, I'm proud to say that I write for Me Magazine based out of Washington, D.C.  I hope that those of you of the LGBT Community will check out the publication when you have the time and support my friend, Michael Peart for doing an extraordinary job of living his dream.

I will continue to write for The Examiner, showcasing talent when I can.  I hope that you follow this blog and check out the reviews I've written as well as the books that are forthcoming from me, my constituents and my company, Four Brothers Publications!

More updates to the follow!

In the meantime, feel free to reach out to me at www.fourbrotherspublications.com and tell me what's on your mind!  I would love to hear from you!!

~ J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...