Friday, March 28, 2014

Re-Thinking Writing

I've been thinking about writing lately.  As a matter of fact, I've been praying about it.  Although I've accomplished so much in this industry, at times I feel like I've hit the proverbial "glass ceiling" and no matter what I do, I can't get past it.

It's not that I don't enjoy writing.  It actually brings me a great deal of comfort when I have the time to do it.  The issue at hand is that I am taking a step back from writing to regroup, re-plan, recharge and re-form.

As I continue to live life and carve out time for my full time job, my other half, family, friends, loved ones and God, I realize that I have to allow more time to hone my craft to be the best that I can be in this industry.  Indeed, don't we all?

I smile as I say this because my other half always asks me when am I going to become rich and famous so that we can both retire.  I had to explain while laughing that we're both going to retire whether I am rich and famous or not.

But I digress, when it come to writing, I am of the mindset that different people write for different reasons.  Many of us hope to be able to carve out a living with our craft.  Others hope to gain recognition for what they love to do...at some point, they may even hope to obtain celebrity status.  Still, some of us just love to write and will take the accolades along with the criticisms.  They will sell a book or two and still keep pushing.  I believe that I fall into the category of the latter.  But with all of that being said, I would love to be able to do what I do and make my living from that.  That is part of my objective.  Maybe this is why it has taken me so long to get to where I want to get to.

Still, I've heard that it's not so much the destination as it is the journey.  You learn about yourself and you learn about others.  But like any traveler when embarking on a journey, you get tired and you need to rest.  In my case, I need to regroup, re-plan, recharge and re-form.  Regroup to gather my bearings; re-plan to figure out my strategy; recharge to rediscover my passion and re-form to implement my plan.

I love to write.  I always have and I always will.  Giving up is NEVER an option.  Slowing down from time to time?  Yes.  But quitting?  No!

Hit me up at www.fourbrotherspublications.com and share your thoughts with me!

~ J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...