Friday, July 12, 2013

The Writer's Megaphone shouts out author Lee Wilson

Introducing author Lee Wilson

Recently, I made the cognizant decision to step outside of my comfort zone when it comes to books that I review.  As a result, I've opened myself up to reading books that I wouldn't ordinarily pick up as my personal choice of reading material.  I can read a book objectively and ask some pertinent questions of the author that would help me make a good decision on how I review the work.  Who did the author write the book for?  Who was his/her intended audience and did they capture that audience?  Just because an author writes in a genre that you don't personally subscribe to doesn't mean that you can't be objective.

Allow me to introduce you to author Lee Wilson.  His genre is seems to be the paranormal which is a subject that I've come to know intimately.  His brief bio is as follows:

"Lee Wilson authored the best-selling novel, "The Last Hybrid: Bloodline of Angels" which was based on a dream he had as a teenager about a man who was half angel and half human. Lee is also an actor from films and television shows in addition to having spoken at the Pepperdine University Lectureships in Malibu, California.  Lee has also ghost written for celebrities and authors in magazines and books. If you would've told him in high school that he'd grow up to be an author, he probably would've laughed at you."

Author Lee Wilson
 Rather than do the traditional Q&A, I allowed Mr. Wilson to tell me about himself; and this is what he had to say:

"I wanted to play in the NBA when I was a kid. That was my dream. To this day, it hurts me to watch a basketball game. When it was clear that I wouldn't be NBA material because I wasn't six foot eight, I transitioned into my old standby, which has now become my love in the sports world, golf.
I'm fascinated by space and "alternative history." If you're not familiar with alternative history, what I mean by that is that with the pyramids of Egypt for example, a lot of archaeologists no longer believe the Egyptians built them. To do the things that the pyramids do, such as point directly to the stars in Orion's Belt and pointing true north, an advanced GPS system would have been required. There are many other details that suggest there was an advanced society and that most of those people were wiped out leading the world to begin again with technology. That stuff fascinates me!

"I smell a book before I decide if I want to read it. Each book seems to have its own smell. 

"When I'm writing I listen to music and enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine (the drink needs to be dark and have lots of character). I love dogs...when they're bathed regularly. LOL. 

"I believe that writing for novels should be smooth and natural and shouldn't explain too much. The characters should reveal themselves by their actions and not by the writer sharing too many of their thoughts because that's now how real life works. I'm an obsessive self-editor. Seriously, I need help!"


I've never cared about race, genre or gender.  To me, it's about a writers talent.  I hope one day to read Mr. Lee's work and provide constructive feedback.
 
To learn more about author Lee Wilson, check out  his Amazon page at the web address below:




~ J.L. Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Brothers Publications annouces the release of "Plantation"

The past is past. It should stay there. Childhood memories are powerful things. Siblings Tarek, Indigo, and Drake spent every summer at th...